Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Twas The Week After Christmas - Happy New Year!


Twas The Week After Christmas

Twas the week after Christmas 
and all through the house
Nothing would fit me, 
not even a blouse.

The cookies I'd nibbled, 
the eggnog I'd taste.
All the holiday parties 
had gone to my waist.
When I got on the scales 
there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store 
(less a walk than a lumber).

I'd remember the marvelous 
meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces 
and beef nicely rared,

The wine and the rum balls, 
the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, 
"No thank you, please."

So--away with the last 
of the sour cream dip,
Get rid of the fruitcake, 
every cracker and chip
Every last bit of food 
that I like must be banished
Till all the additional 
ounces have vanished.

I won't have a cookie-- 
not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew 
on a long celery stick.

I won't have hot biscuits, 
or corn bread, or pie,
I'll munch on a carrot 
and quietly cry.

I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, 
and life is a bore --
But isn't that what 
January is for?

Unable to giggle, 
no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all 
and to
all a good diet!
 
 



New Year's Resolution, Camera Obscura


Gonna Make It Through This Year, Great Lake Swimmers


Funky New Year, The Eagles


New Year's Resolution, Otis Redding & Carla Thomas


What Are You Doing New Year's Eve, Ella Fitzgerald

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a whole lot of truth in that poem. I noticed you noted the site. Thought you wrote it Petra. I'm still recovering from Christmas. Much enjoyed.

And love the music. My favorite has to be Ella Fitzgerald. Adore her.

Happy and healthy New Year Petra, to you and your father.

Love, K. :)

Ron said...

OMG, I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the poem, Petra! I giggled through the whole thing!

Wonderful selection of video clips too. I especially enjoyed the one of Ella Fitzgerald. What a great song. I always loved her voice!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, my friend! Here's to the awesome new year of 2016!

Cheers and X