Tuesday, May 31, 2011

For those with a hearty appetite, 1996's BIG NIGHT is a hilarious and satisfying food film! Esp. if you love Italian food as much as I do!

Please pause playlist at bottom of page to hear/watch videos.

When I first saw BIG NIGHT starring Stanley Tucci, Tony Shalhoub, Isabella Rossellini, and Minnie Driver, I immediately bought the film for its charm, wit, and, of course, food -- Italiano style! I'm still learning the recipes. If anyone would like to try them, below is the link. Piacere il pasto!

http://www.meetup.com/cooking-239/messages/boards/thread/4459784?thread=4459784











Synopsis:

Primo and Secondo are two brothers who have emigrated from Italy to open an Italian restaurant in America. Primo is the irascible and gifted chef, brilliant in his culinary genius, but determined not to squander his talent on making the routine dishes that customers expect. Secondo is the smooth front-man, trying to keep the restaurant financially afloat, despite few patrons other than a poor artist who pays with his paintings. The owner of the nearby Pascal’s restaurant, enormously successful (despite its mediocre fare), offers a solution – he will call his friend, a big-time jazz musician, to play a special benefit at their restaurant. Primo begins to prepare his masterpiece, a feast of a lifetime, for the brothers’ big night…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this film so much, I own it too Petra.

I think if I had a big night like that, I'd die and go to heaven. K. :)

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Isn't it wonderful, K.?! There are quite a few other food films, but this one is so visual -- I could smell the food and feel the brother's frustrations and joy! :))

i beati said...

Now you've made me want to watch it again soon hahaha I want to get netflix but have none of those gamers./how do you watch it.

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

I know what youo mean, Sandy! I've watched it a hundred times, and still love it! :))

I have a subscription to Netflix for home delivery. Don't use any outside technological device.

trickster said...

I too love this film

petra michelle; Whose role is it anyway? said...

Hi, trickster! Thank you for your comment, and very nice to meet you!

I visited your blog which is about healthy eating! LOL Can you imagine enjoying a BIG NIGHT?! :))